1.25.2013

SOUTH DAKOTA!


{Loretta. Me. Jane. Mom. Evelyn}

Not much of a vacation spot,
especially in the middle of the winter
with the wind chill making it -17 degrees
{yes, minus 17 degrees}
but last weekend I flew to South Dakota
to spend a few days with my grandma.

My grandma had surgery
{everything went well, she is ok!} 
and was in the hospital for a week.

The surgery was last minute,
and as soon as we found out
 Greg {Mr. Wonderful} booked a ticket 
and flew me out
and my sister Stephanie took care of
 Thomas and Isabelle so I could have some
much needed South Dakota family time.



{my magazines for the plane trip}



Me & Uncle Steven



I won't name names,
but someone visiting my grandma was wearing this shirt.



My mom and I spent everyday all day at the hospital 
with my grandma.

On the second night we were there, 
a bunch of us went to dinner at Tea
In real life, Tea has the best steak in South Dakota.
Tea is why I cannot be a vegetarian.

At Tea, there are two things on the menu:
steak and Jack Daniels.

I don't think people in South Dakota drink anything
but Jack Daniels.



It's super convenient having the slot machines 
right there just feet away for gambling in
between courses.



{Great Uncle Mark. Me. Uncle Steven. Great Aunt Ardis. Mom}

See all the bottles behind me?
Yep, that's Jack Daniels.
All. of. it.



"Cowboy boot stores" in South Dakota blow our one
store here in Utah out of the water.



I have never seen so many cowboy boots in my
entire life!

I was in cowboy boot heaven.


My family in South Dakota are real-life legitimate
farmers/cowboys/cowgirls
and I am clearly just a wannabe
{as if I could ever plow a field or rope cattle!}
but at least now I know where I get my redneck ways from.

I love cowboy boots.
I love Greg in cowboy boots.
I love Greg even more in a cowboy hat.
{I do not like Wranglers though}
I love horses.
I love rodeos.
I love George Strait
I love Reba.
I have a mad passion for Johnny Cash,
the man in black.

I have gone country.



Yes, I did buy them both and no,
I don't think I am being excessive.


Spending a few days with my family -
most of who I haven't seen since Isabelle
was just a baby,
was exactly what I needed.
It's hard to explain, but spending time with
my grandma + SD family
always pushes my "reset button"
and I came back to Utah feeling
a hundred times better and more like myself
than I did when I left.

I think families {Grandma's especially} and
cowboy boots must have a way of doing that.

No comments: